During check in, I was informed that the room I had confirmed booking has been booked to someone else. They stated they did not have any matching rooms. A disabled room that met conditions was available, however, upon entering, the description on their system did not match the physical room. They moved us to a similar room that was more matched, however, there was the smell of chlorine in the bathroom and the controller for the blinds was very loose and the blinds would not rise all the way. We took it anyway. On the next day, we asked housekeeping to clean the room before heading out for the day. When we returned in the afternoon, the room had not been cleaned.
The manager(s) were helpful and very courteous as were the front staff. Unfortunately, the system broke down. I do not blame the staff.
This is a first time occurrence, so I cannot say if this is normal.